With a renewed national dialog about gun safety (I am adopting James Fallow’s nomenclature; let’s focus not on controlling guns, but on improving gun safety), I want to point out that stupidity and aggression are not constitutionally protected, and when you combine them with guns, bad things can happen. Things like:
- A 6th grader bringing a gun to school for “protection,” and then pointing that gun at other children
- A man forcing another man to do the moonwalk at rifle point
- A man shooting and killing his roommate in an argument over how to cook pork chops
- A man pulling a gun on a furniture delivery man in an argument over paying a delivery fee
- A man going to his apartment and bringing out a rifle after having his penis size insulted in his apartment building pool
No 2nd Amendment exegesis here. Just noting that people can do a lot of awful things, and when you put killing devices in their hands, those awful things can get even worse.
Of course, 60% of my examples took place in Florida, so maybe the answer is to have tougher gun laws in that state, but leave the rest of the country alone.