A new poll is out that shows McCain in a dead heat with Obama, closing the several point lead that Obama had been holding. The same poll shows that fully half of those who voted for Hillary Clinton are not supporting Obama. And I am wondering why. It seems to me that if you support Clinton’s policies, there is no way that you can vote for McCain; he is fiscally and socially conservative and staunchly against reproductive rights. So why are so many Clinton voters against Obama? Here are some possibilities:
- They believe that experience really is paramount, and that Clinton had it while Obama doesn’t
- They are more conservative than their support of Clinton would indicate
- They think Obama is arrogant and elitist
- They won’t vote for a black
- They are still angry about perceived sexism in the primary and are taking their anger out on Obama (by the way, I still haven’t seen a concrete example of this sexism)
- They are still angry that Clinton lost and are taking their anger out on Obama
I’m sure that there are other reasons too. And while I could deconstruct all of the above rationales, right now I am curious which ones are driving the Clinton supporters. So if you have any ideas, or if you are a Clinton supporter, please comment and let me know. Because I am genuinely curious.
She lost by a little more than 300 delegates. It was a monumentally important campaign for women. AND HRC and BHO are very different candidates… I have faith that while some ladies will choose to sit this election out (unfortunate as that is), most supporters will vote for Obama–because she will make it clear that he is the right choice. Oh, and don’t give so much credence to a political poll issued in August, the eve before the DNCC, the week while the world is on vacation.
I’ve heard there’s still a lot of anger she wasn’t tapped for the VP role. Supporters need a “why”
Catching up on this a little late, but oh my. I’m a long time Clinton supporter – yes, through it all. And frankly, I’m embarrassed by their behavior. It’s tasteless; even more so than Bill’s dalliances. What do, what do? Well, certainly not vote for McCain.
Certainly not. That’s the think I understand the least…if you supported Clinton’s policies at all, you simply cannot vote for McCain, and now Palin.